RANDOLPH — Town Manager Brian P. Howard, Fire Chief Richard F. Donovan, and Police Chief William Pace report that a small fire damaged a rooftop air conditioning unit and part of the roof of Randolph Town Hall. The fire is believed to have been caused by fireworks.

Randolph Fire and Police responded to Town Hall, located at 41 South Main St., at 10 p.m. for a report of smoke showing. Upon arrival, firefighters located fire on the roof and initiated a fast attack mode to stop the progress of the fire.

The fast actions of the first responding firefighters limited the damage to an air conditioner and part of the rubber roof of the town hall before flames were extinguished.

The cause of the fire is believed to be fireworks-related. The fire broke out shortly after the town’s official fireworks display, and several illegal, amateur fireworks were noted around the time.

Randolph Police noted one group of residents lighting off aerial fireworks near town hall at the time, and officers responded to stop those activities.

The damage was estimated at $50,000. The official cause of the fire is under investigation by the Randolph Fire Department.

The Randolph Police Department reminds all residents that all private ownership and use of fireworks are illegal in Massachusetts.

“I am extremely proud of the quick work of our firefighters in preventing further damage to our Town Hall building,” Town Manager Howard said. “Let this incident serve as a reminder to all that fireworks, while beautiful to behold, are not without their risks, especially when they are not left to the professionals.”

###

Small Fire Damages Air Conditioning, Roof of Randolph Town Hall

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

New on RandolphPD.com: Fingerprinting Services & Phone Scam Prevention InformationClick Here