Statement of Randolph Police Chief William Pace Regarding Death of George Floyd and Actions of Minneapolis Police

RANDOLPH — Chief William Pace and the men and women of the Randolph Police Department condemn the actions of the Minneapolis Police officers which resulted in the death of George Floyd last week.

“The role of a police officer at its very core is the preservation of life and the welfare of the community. The safety of all human beings is the number one priority with any and every person an officer interacts with daily, whether a victim, a witness or a suspect,” Chief Pace said. “The Randolph Police Department will always be committed to providing the best possible service to the community in a dignified and equitable fashion. Officers are trained to approach every situation with respect, compassion and fairness, and these are all traits that were not present in the treatment of George Floyd.”

Police departments and their officers across Massachusetts have thoroughly embraced the six pillars of the principles embodied in the final report of President Barack Obama’s Task Force on 21st Century Policing, and remain committed to professional conduct, democratic policing and procedural justice for all people. Massachusetts police officers, including those of the Randolph Police Department, are not trained to apply pressure to the neck or throat and to never place a suspect on their face.

Additionally, the Randolph Police Department is committed to meeting and maintaining the top standards of law enforcement through accreditation by the Massachusetts Police Accreditation Commission (MPAC). The department regularly reviews internal policies regarding use of force and its training on de-escalation techniques and fair and impartial policing. The reforms made over the years have promoted greater accountability and fulfilled training needs, resulting in a declining crime rate and no excessive force complaints in the last 10 years.

“George Floyd’s death was certainly preventable had the Minneapolis officers on scene maintained their professionalism and honored the oaths they swore when beginning their careers. It is our responsibility to hold responsible the officers who tarnish the reputation of this profession through unjust and unreasonable action or inaction,” Chief Pace said. “We know that the effectiveness of our profession can only be possible with the trust of the community in which we serve.”

As communities struggle with the emotions that arose from the injustice that occurred in Minneapolis and the wave of both peaceful and violent protests across the nation which followed, the Randolph Police Department denounces acts of violence but encourages community members to peacefully voice their opinion, as is their constitutional right.

In the coming days, Chief Pace will meet with community members and leaders to explain the department’s commitment to methods that keep Randolph safe while also guarding the constitutional protections of its people.

“I believe our officers have a great deal of community support in Randolph. We always value an open dialogue with members of our community on all matters, including how we can continue to evolve as a law enforcement organization,” Chief Pace said.

###

A Statement from Randolph Police Chief William Pace

RANDOLPH — The following is a statement from Randolph Police Chief William Pace:

“The Randolph Police Department is currently actively investigating multiple acts of vandalism at a local church. Our department responded to the International Assembly of God church at 572 South Main St. in Randolph four times between April 6 and May 2 for reports of vandalism ranging from broken windows to smashed light bulbs.

“During each call, our officers collected evidence and searched the area for information that could lead to identifying the suspect or suspects. Detectives have canvassed the area looking for surveillance video that may help to identify the perpetrator or perpetrators. Our officers have been conducting increased surveillance in the area in the hopes of identifying who is responsible for these unacceptable acts of vandalism.

“Although the frequency of incidents at this location is concerning, based on the evidence we have at this time, there is no specific indication right now that this should be classified as a hate crime. If new evidence comes to light that these acts are indeed a hate crime, we will investigate it as such and anyone charged with these incidents will be charged accordingly.

“In an additional incident of vandalism that took place on April 17 to a vehicle parked outside of the church building, a person was photographed on video surveillance from a distance and is described as a black male, wearing black clothing, who left the area in a black 2013-2017 Honda Accord, toward Avon. A surveillance video showed that the vehicle’s license plate began with the letter H. The suspect vehicle has aftermarket and distinctive “five star” rims. This person is a person of interest in each of the church vandalism incidents and police would like to speak with this individual.

“We urge anyone with information about these incidents to contact the Randolph Police Department at 781-963-1212.”

“Because this investigation is active and ongoing, there will be no further information released at this time.”

###

Randolph Police Department Thanks Local Business for Donating Face Shields

The Randolph Police Department would like to thank Mostafa Lofti and his company, Lacerta Group Inc., for their generous donation of face shields. It truly is inspiring to see companies going above and beyond to support first responders. Because of their generosity, we were able to distribute the shields to first responders in multiple other communities to keep them safe. Ken Pires, of the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Department, was instrumental in coordinating this donation. Detective Michael Tuitt personally delivered the shields to our surrounding cities and towns. In times of adversity, working together and supporting each other is what is needed to persevere. Thank you again!!!

Randolph Police Department Limiting Public Access to Police Station as Precaution Against Coronavirus

RANDOLPH — Chief William Pace reports that the Randolph Police Department will be limiting access to the public at its police station as a precautionary measure against the coronavirus, and would like to assure residents that the level of service provided by the department will not change.

The Randolph Police Department will continue to respond to all emergencies. However, the department will be limiting access to the police station to outside visitors for non-emergency, walk-in business until further notice.

As always, please call 911 for any emergency.

Residents are asked to contact the police business line at 781-963-1212 for general non-emergency matters or questions. Contact methods for specific matters are outlined below:

  • Residents who would like to request a report can email [email protected]. Please provide your name, address, date of birth, phone number, email and the date and location of the incident. Fax requests can be sent to 781-961-0970.
  • Parking tickets can be paid online at parkingticketpayment.com/randolph or by phone at 866-980-5363. Payments can also be paid via mail with a check or money order. Mail the payment to Randolph Police Parking Clerk, 41 South Main St. The town hall drop-off box can also be used for check or money order payments.
  • Reports regarding bank, credit card or identity matters can be placed over the phone at 781-963-1212.
  • Lost or stolen items can be reported via a form on the department’s site and then faxed to 781-961-0968. Reports can also be made via phone at 781-963-1212.

“This proactive approach will limit the risk of coronavirus exposure to our personnel and is meant to enhance the practice of social distancing,” Chief Pace said. “We thank our community members for their continued cooperation.”

###

Randolph Police Make Arrest in Monday Night Shooting

RANDOLPH — Chief William Pace reports that the Randolph Police Department arrested and charged a man who shot another man Monday night, March 10.

JASON MUKORO, AGE 23, OF RANDOLPH was charged with:

  • Attempted Murder
  • Carrying a Firearm Without a License
  • Discharging a Firearm Within 500 Feet of a Building
  • Assault with a Dangerous Weapon (Firearm)
  • Possession with Intent to Distribute a Class B Drug (Cocaine)

At approximately 4:50 p.m. on Monday, police responded to the area of 10 and 15 Ward St. for a report of a shooting.

A 28-year-old Randolph man was located at the scene and was transported by a Randolph Fire Department ambulance to a local hospital. He suffered multiple gunshot wounds in the back and his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

MUKORO fled from the scene on foot. Through the subsequent investigation, it was determined that MUKORO was the man who shot the victim.

MUKORO was arrested near his home without incident Monday night. Police obtained a search warrant to search his home and located and seized the clothes he wore during the shooting and 10.2 grams of cocaine. No weapons were found in the search.

MUKORO is expected to be arraigned Tuesday in Quincy District Court.

These are allegations. All suspects are innocent until proven guilty.

###

Randolph Police Investigating Monday Evening Shooting

No Danger to Community

Chief William Pace reports that the Randolph Police Department is investigating a shooting that occurred Monday evening.

Just before 4:50 p.m. on Monday, police responded to the area of 10 and 15 Ward St. for a report of a possible shooting.

A 28-year-old Randolph man was transported by a Randolph Fire Department ambulance to a local hospital. He suffered multiple gunshot wounds and his injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

The suspect fled from the scene on foot and police do not believe that the incident was random.

The incident remains under active investigation. Anyone who may have witnessed any suspicious activity in the area is asked to call the Randolph Police Department at 781-963-1212.

Randolph Police Looking to Identify Possible Suspect Following String of Home Break-Ins

RANDOLPH — Chief William Pace reports that the Randolph Police Department is actively seeking to identify a possible suspect in a string of breaking and entering cases in town.

On Friday, March 6, Randolph Police responded to two separate reports of breaking and entering at homes in the same neighborhood. The first occurred at approximately 1:10 p.m. at a Edwin Street residence, and the second at approximately 1:40 p.m. at a Soren Street residence.

Jewelry and cash was reportedly stolen from the first home, and jewelry was reportedly stolen from the second home. Both break-ins appear similar in nature, with significant damage done to the front and side doors of the homes.

Through video footage captured by neighbors, police have identified a middle aged black male suspect who was recorded wearing a white jacket and dark flannel pajama pants, and during the second break-in was seen wearing the same clothes along with a white baseball hat. He was seen carrying a black bag over his shoulder. 

Two victims of these break-ins were targeted in the same fashion during similar incidents in 2015.

The individual is not wanted by police at this time, but police are looking to identify him.

In addition to these two incidents, an attempted break-in was reported at a residence on North Main Street on Friday, March 6 that resulted in significant damage to the home’s front and side doors. An additional break-in was reported on Saturday, Feb. 29 involving a suspect climbing through the kitchen window of a home on Eugenia Street that was captured by a camera at the home.

The investigation is ongoing by Randolph Police, and additional patrol and surveillance units will remain in the area. Anyone with information is advised to contact the Randolph Police Department at 781-963-1212 or email [email protected].

###

Town of Randolph, Police and Fire Departments Warn Residents of Scam Spoofing Town Phone Numbers

RANDOLPH — Town Manager Brian Howard, Police Chief William Pace and Fire Chief Richard Donovan are warning residents about a telephone scam in which the caller is spoofing official town phone numbers.

The Randolph Police Department has received several reports today of residents receiving calls from the Town of Randolph asking them for personal information. This is a scam call. The Town of Randolph will never call asking for personal information such as bank account information or a social security number.

Residents have also reported receiving calls from phone numbers appearing on caller ID as the Randolph Fire Department and Randolph High School.

Town officials warn that residents should NEVER give personal information, social security numbers or credit card numbers to people who call their homes or cell phones unless you are entirely sure who is on the other end.

If someone calls to collect on a debt or is seeking personal information, remember that you can always hang up and call back a phone number you know is correct or look up the number yourself.

The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has several tips for residents looking to protect themselves from falling victim to a phone scam:

  • Let calls from unknown phone numbers go to voicemail. Do not answer.
  • If a caller claims to represent a company, like Google or Apple, hang up. Call the company, and verify if that individual was actually who they were claiming to be. Be sure to call the correct phone number by going to the organization’s website or looking at a recent bill from that organization.
  • Know that even “local” numbers on caller ID may not be from a local caller.
  • Never pay for a service with a gift card. Legitimate companies and organizations will not ask you to pay for any service with a gift card.
  • Report scam calls with the FCC Consumer Complaint Center by visiting consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us.
  • Report any money lost to a scam call to local police.
  • Check to see if your phone company has a service that will block robocalls.
  • Consider adding your telephone numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry www.donotcall.gov/. Law abiding telemarketers will not call phone numbers once they are added to the list.

If residents have any questions or feel that they have been victimized, they are encouraged to call Randolph Police at 781-963-1212.

###

Randolph Man Reported Missing Saturday Found Safe in Wrentham

RANDOLPH — Chief William Pace reports that a missing Randolph man has been found safe.

At approximately 9 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 8, Randolph Police were informed that the man, a 33-year-old from Randolph, was at a relative’s home in Wrentham.

“We appreciate the efforts of all the law enforcement officials who responded to ensure this individual was safely located,” Chief Pace said.

###