The Randolph Police Department is a Civil Service agency. Candidate selections for the position of police officer are obtained from the Massachusetts Human Resource Division after an applicant applies for and successfully passes the Civil Service Police Officer Examination. To become a police officer in Massachusetts an Applicant must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen (birth or naturalized).
  • Be a resident of Massachusetts.
  • Be at least 21 years of age.
  • Possess a High School Diploma or have a G.E.D. Certificate or
  • Possess a valid Massachusetts motor vehicle operator’s license
  • Qualify for a License to Carry a Firearm.

Preference is given to applicants applying to work at the Randolph Police Department for the following reasons

  • Veterans
  • Residents of Randolph – there is a 4 year residency requirement once hired.
  • Children or siblings of fallen officers
  • Applicants of certain racial/ethnic backgrounds (as required by federal consent decree)

Other Requirements

  • Take a written Examination given by the Comm. Of Massachusetts’ Human Resource’s Division
  • Pass a comprehensive background investigation
  • Pass an interview board
  • Pass a Medical Screening
  • Pass a Drug Screening
  • Pass a Psychological Screening
  • Pass a Physical Agility Test
  • Complete a 22—30 week police academy
  • Successfully pass a 12 week Field Training Program

The civil service exam is given every two years. The next exam date has yet to be announced. For more information please contact the Massachusetts Human Resources Division at (617) 727- 3777.

The best way to commend the actions of a Randolph Police employee is to write a brief letter describing the incident and the actions you think were exceptional. Information such as date, time, and location will help identify the employee if you do not know his or her name or badge number. Officers can also be commended through the use of the Commendation Page on our website (insert link) If you choose not to write, or use the phone application, you may ask to speak with the individual’s supervisor and make a verbal recommendation.

Commendations received by the Chief are forwarded to the employee with a copy placed in his or her personnel file. Although our employees do not expect to be thanked for everything they do, recognition of exceptional service is always appreciated. This kind of feedback helps us to know if we are doing a good job.

An inquiry or complaint can be made by letter, telephone, in person or through our website (insert link). Any police department employee whose duties involve public contact may accept an initial inquiry or complaint against personnel, procedures, or policies. If the inquiry or complaint is about personnel, you should contact the employee’s shift or unit commander. If the employee’s commander is not available, you may contact the on-duty supervisor. The supervisor will ensure that your inquiry or complaint is directed to the proper authority.

If your inquiry or complaint appears to be based on a misunderstanding or lack of knowledge of acceptable or desired conduct, procedures, or practices, the police department employee may offer an explanation. If you are not satisfied with their explanation, you may insist on speaking with the employee’s supervisor. Please be prepared to provide the date, time, and location of the event; the names of the police department employees involved (if known); and the name, address, and telephone number of any possible witnesses. All complaints of misconduct are reviewed by the department’s Internal Affairs Officer.

The dissemination of police reports is governed by the Massachusetts Public Records Law. Requests for copies of police reports can be made in person, by email (, and on the website. The easiest and quickest way to obtain a police report is in person at the police station. For most reports’ delivery is immediate; however Mass Public Records law allows up to 10 business days for delivery. Accident reports are $5.00 and should be obtained by your insurance company or attorney.  For all other reports, the costs may be waived.

Residents wishing to apply for either a License to Carry (LTC) or a Firearms Identification Card (FID) should download Commonwealth of Massachusetts’ Firearms (insert link to application). Applicants should then submit completed applications as well as a copy of their Massachusetts’ Approved Basic Firearms Safety Certificate to the police department. Applications can be delivered in person or sent by mail to: Randolph Police Department, ATTN: Firearms Licensing, 41 South Main Street, Randolph, MA 02368. LTC and FID applications will be reviewed and applicants will be contacted by telephone for an appointment.  Firearms Licensing Officer Lt. Penny Cirino may be contacted at 781-963-1212.

See the community resources page for information about our Domestic Violence Advocate (insert link).  All officers are trained in the detection of domestic violence and resources to hand out to persons in need.  The Support and Outreach Unit also has a Domestic Violence Officer would can guide you to resources.

If you are in an accident and you are still at the scene of the accident needing immediate police assistance, dial 911. Stay calm and give your exact location, including the town that the accident occurred in. If you are reporting the accident after the fact, you can download the Accident Report Form (PDF) and complete it. Once you complete the form, follow the instructions located in the lower right corner of the form. You can drop off a copy at the Randolph Police Headquarters or mail a copy of the report to:

Randolph Police
Attn: Records Clerk
41 South Main Street
Randolph, MA 02368